Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
The first three steps can be done in any order:
- Complete the Share Your Passions information form
Once submitted, You will be sent an email with some documents to sign – a Confidentiality Agreement, Publicity Release Form/Acknowledgement, and Acknowledgement of Handbook Receipt.
- Attend the Freedom Project Info Night offered each month. Learn more about Freedom Project, our programs, what you can do to be involved, and the process of becoming a volunteer. Plus, it’s a great chance for us to get to know you! You can attend in person at our office or join by Zoom (a link will be sent to you when you RSVP).
- Attend “How We See People: Anti-Oppression Mass Incarceration Workshop” offered once a month. As an organization and community that works within the scope of the criminal justice system (during and after incarceration), Freedom Project works to have conversations and awareness around the issues of mass incarceration, anti-oppression, and inequities (particularly racial inequity). We strive to have volunteers – especially those going inside the prison – to be aware of this systemic oppression, power dynamics, and the impact at the individual and interpersonal level. All new volunteers are required to attend this event.
The next steps depend on where you want to volunteer:
- Inside Prison – the onboarding process for Inside Prison Volunteers takes time. You will be asked to attend an orientation at the facility where you want to volunteer. These are offered just four times a year. The Prison Program Director will be in touch with you to discuss the next steps to your onboarding process. Please note, all prison volunteers must be over the age of 21
- Reentry Programs – the Reentry Program Director will be in touch with you to discuss ways to volunteer.
- Something else? Let us know what you love to do and we will connect you with the people doing it!
Please note: all volunteers must be over the age of 18
Questions? Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about volunteering with Freedom Project or the process to become a volunteer.
Upcoming Events › Volunteers
Events Search and Views Navigation
Freedom Project is a non-profit that works to heal the trauma and dismantle the impacts caused by the mass incarceration system. We do work inside prisons, reentry, and the broader community to support the people and communities who are most impacted. Want to know more about Freedom Project and ways that you can be involved? Join us to learn about the people, programs and purpose of this community-directed organization. Learn about our vision and framing, community collaborations and what…Find out more »
How do we see people? What’s the impact on others? What lenses do we see through and where do these lenses come from? How are *we* seen? Whether we are overvalued or undervalued by society, the ways that we are seen are influenced by multiple systems, histories, experiences and institutions. This workshop seeks to explain the systems and institutions that shape the ways we see ourselves and others so that we can be more accountable for the impacts: internalized racial…Find out more »